Friday, October 16, 2009

Cultural Responsiveness

As I viewed the DVD program Culturally Responsive Teaching, I noticed that Dr. Eugene Garcia stated that all teachers have a theory about how they approach education, and this theory plays a role in how they teach. I believe that all students can learn regardless of their cultural and linguistic backgrounds. These diverse students need someone to believe in them, to challenge them, and to hold them to high expectations. I have been thinking about how culturally responsive my teaching is in relation to Dr. Garcia’s 5 Rs. I believe that I effectively practice the following culturally responsive approaches: respect, responsible, and reasonable. However, I could improve on learning to become more responsive and resourceful. Dr. Garcia stated in the DVD segment, Culturally Responsive Teaching, that diversity should be perceived as a resource and to let kids use their native language to communicate (Laureate Education, Inc., 2007). I never thought about how important it is for kids to use their native languages until Dr. Garcia emphasized the importance of it. The next time I have ELLs in my classes, I will strive to implement all of Dr. Garcia’s 5Rs.

No comments:

Post a Comment