Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Evaluating 21st Century Skills

My exploration of the Web site, Partnership for 21st Century Skills , enlightened me about the mission of this organization which is to build collaborative partnerships between education, business, community, and government leaders to promote 21 century skills. The framework that has been developed clearly states student outcomes that will help them achieve 21st century skills to become productive workers in a global economy. I was surprised to see the vast numbers of businesses coming together to help usher in this movement. It just shows the seriousness of how these businesses want students who are capable to work in a changing society.

I was surprised at all of the resource links that are provided to help teachers meet the challenge of preparing students. There is a link addressed to Bloom’s taxonomy to help teachers develop higher order thinking skills. In addition, the Route 21 link allows the user to browse resources and also provides a synopsis of websites. The resources include core subjects, learning and innovation skills, technology skills, life and career skills and several others.

I believe the Partnership for 21st Century Skills is moving in the right direction for our society’s welfare. With the continued drive for 21st Century Skills, my students will be better prepared to enter a workforce with the necessary critical thinking, problem solving, technological and collaboration skills. My role as an educator is going to change. I will have to incorporate more project-based learning activities and collaboration activities using technology. It is my responsibility to ensure my students success as a citizen and worker in the 21st century.

6 comments:

  1. I think you are absolutely right about what employers are looking for in the youth as they exit schools and enter the work force.
    I think all of us educators need to revamp how we teach and gear our lessons for what our students will experience in the real world.
    It is definitely a positive sign that businesses are now working with the school systems and students to help prep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Karl about employeers really caring about the workers they are getting. The less training the company has to do with a worker the more they save so they need us to provide them with highly skilled workers. I also think this site has opened our eyes to the fact that we must use more projects and technology in our classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree the companies are looking towards the future and at the people whom they will hire. They want to encourage growth and the use of technology is what is helping. Partnering with the team will benefit society in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not see Tennessee on the list of states that have joined the Partnership for 21st Century Skills. How does this make you feel? My state, California, is also not on the list, and I wondering why not. Do you think that it is because our states do not feel the need to join the partnership or that they just do not know about it yet? There are other factors that might be the at play here, but I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure why Tennessee and California are not on the list. I attend the Vocational Conference at Murfreesboro, TN each year and businesses are asked to speak to teachers. These businesses inform us of skills that our students need in order to be successful in obtaining a job after high school. I have to think that even if these states are not part of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills, that they are working on ways to have these skills addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really support your ideas that its a great resourceful areas for teachers with challenges. Ir alo provides confidence to see that you state is involved in the intergation of technology in the classroom

    ReplyDelete