Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Technology and Change

Technology is constantly changing how we do things in our lives. When I was attending college in 1984 most of my essays were typed using a typewriter. When I had to make corrections, I used that awful correction tape that always alerted the reader that a mistake was made and fixed. Since that time computers have gradually crept into my life and through the use of word processors has made writing papers much easier. I can spell check, edit, and format all with the click of a button. Computers have become a necessary and welcoming tool. Not only do I use online banking and bill pay, but I teach using technology on a daily basis. Although students are growing up knowing how to turn on a computer and how to play games, most students do not know how to use the software programs (Excel, Access, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher) that I teach until they enroll in my classes.

My classroom would be considered to be a technology rich classroom with twenty-five computers, three printers, a scanner, camera, Interwrite Board, and an Elmo at students disposal. Everytime a new technology enters into my classroom I am excited, but at the same time overwhelmed. With the duties of creating lesson plans, teaching, and adminstrative tasks that must be addressed, it is hard to find time to learn how to use all of this technology. A one-day inservice is not enough to fully comprehend the inner workings of these different devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment