Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Evaluating My Game Plan

Game Plan Effectiveness
During the weekend I was able to take some time to look at copyright resources to use with my Desktop Publishing class in the spring. As far as my class blog, I have not set one up yet. I am behind in my course standards and do not see any way that I can implement a blog this semester. Up until the weekend, I did not feel as if I was making any progress toward my Game Plan. However, during the weekend I saw a small light at the end of the tunnel. Although my Game Plan has not progressed as I initially thought it would, I am making progress slowly.

Application to Instructional Practice
So far I have learned from another colleague that I can use Twitter to illicit resources and ideas from other professionals. I plan to set up an account soon. I also learned from my school’s librarian that there is a video on copyrights that I can check out and show my classes that is a newer version than the video I have been showing to students.

More to Learn
I still have to find more information about copyrights before I feel comfortable teaching a more in-depth lesson to students than what I have briefly touched upon in the past. Hopefully, I can connect with other professionals that will share their copyright lesson plans with me along with their best instructional practices. As far as setting up a blog, I feel fairly confident. Although I know that I can create and access a blog at school, I need to check with school administration and make sure it is okay for students to participate in a blog. I may need to have signed documentation from parents stating that their child can participate in a blog.

Arising Questions
What type of instructional strategy and/or technology tool should I use to implement my goal of teaching copyrights to students? How and what type of activity should I use to teach students about blogging on line and the appropriate language to use? How do I want my students to request permission to use copyrighted materials?

Adjusting My Game Plan
My Game Plan is a work in progress. I will continue to locate copyright resources through the Internet and through my network of colleagues. I plan to teach my Desktop Publishing students all about copyrights in the spring. In addition, I plan to implement my class blog in the spring. Further adjustment to my Game Plan will include evaluating my lesson plans and seeing where I can fit in instructional time to teach students about blogging.

6 comments:

  1. Jeannine,
    Twitter can be a great resource. It seems as though teachers all over the place are becoming creative with their resources. Handling the ins and outs of getting permission can be a pain, but it is somethign that needs to be done in order to carry out your learning goals. Good luck getting your class blog started. Once you get everything and are able to see your goals being achieved, all of your hard work will have been worth it. Good luck in your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeannine,
    I would suggest that you look for a Webquest that is already designed to teach your students about copywrite laws etc. I have not looked for one as this is not my teaching area, but I am sure there would have to be some great ones out there. http://webquest.org/index.php this is a great website to start with to find if there is something out there...not sure if you are familiar with webquests or not but it gives you a good overview of what they are as well. I know it means more time online looking stuff up, but hopefully this helps and you won't have to re-invent the wheel with what you are hoping to teach in the spring. Good luck,
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannine,
    Your progress seems to be moving along nicely. I have a question about setting up your blog. As with these blogs that we use in our Walden courses, we have to have an email address and log on through it in order to comment on blogs. Due to firewalls in school environments, will your students be able to log on and interact via blogs and emails? One suggestion that my technology coordinator recommended to me when I wanted to set up a blog, was using a school created email account for each student on our moodle server. If your students are only commenting from home, this won't be a problem, but it was just a "head-up." Being a technology educator, you probably have already thought of this, but if not hopefully this will help.
    Thanks for your post and have a good week,
    Dustin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannine:
    I love the idea of using a webquest to teach about copyright laws and if there is one already created that is applicable to high school, all the better. The link is a great resource and is a good place to start to find an up-to-date lesson. I have never used moodle, but have heard of it. Any further explanation on the use of moodle would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeannine!

    I have fellow teachers who use moodle and they love it. I have not dived in yet and use a wiki with delicious with my kids. I have also heard about Edmundo, have you?
    Sounds like things are going well. Have agreat week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone,

    Thanks for the suggestions about using a Webquest and Moodle. I have never used either resource, but maybe these are some resources that I should check into further. If I could find a Webquest on copyrights, this would definitely save me time. As far as blogs, my school does allow access and students are able to use their yahoo or hotmail email accounts at school.

    Jeannine Lowe

    ReplyDelete