Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Behaviorist Learning Theory and Instructional Strategies

Behaviorism is essentially behavior that results from stimuli in the environment which is reinforced through positive, negative, or neutral rewards (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008, p. 15). This week I explored two instructional strategies that involve technology: "Reinforcing Effort" and "Homework and Practice". I have reflected on how these strategies correlate with the principles of the behaviorist learning theory, and my insights are discussed in this blog.

In the first instructional strategy, “Reinforcing Effort”, technology software can be used to help students see that efforts on their parts can lead to achievement. In the course text, Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works, the authors discussed that many students do not understand the link between effort and achievement. Pitler, Hubble, Kuhn, & Malenoski noted, “The instructional strategy of reinforcing effort enhances students’ understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning” (2007, p. 155). The authors suggest that having students use a software program, Microsoft Excel, to track their efforts on a project on a weekly basis, and then having students creating a chart would help students see a graphical representation of their efforts toward a project and help them realize that effort leads to achievement. The course text also discussed using online surveys to gather data about a group of students. Once the data is collected, it is shared with a class to show how previous students in classes before them have overcome difficulties and succeeded because of effort that was put forth on their parts.

In the second instructional strategy, “Homework and Practice”, the authors in the course text assert, “Multiple exposures to material help students deepen their understanding of content and become proficient with skills” (2007, p. 188). Using technology such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Internet resources allows students different avenues to practice and reinforce skills. These different technologies allow students to not only practice and review, but to apply learning in an engaged way as well as receive feedback for their efforts in the learning process through a visual representation of a final product. Futhermore, when Web resources such as games or tutorials are accessed, students are engaged through the rich multimedia content which provides additional reinforcements for learning. In a game, the program will collect data based upon student responses and will produce a reinforcement, either positive or negative, as its response. A tutorial program will walk the student through a series of steps to teach a concept.

When I reflect upon the correlation between the behaviorist learning theory and instructional strategies that involve technology, it is important to take into account B. F. Skinner’s, early behaviorist, operant conditioning model. The concept of operant conditioning is the idea that responses are conditioned or rewarded based upon a desired behavior (Orey, 2001). Instructional strategies that use technology adhere to the behaviorist theory based upon the operant conditioning view of B. F. Skinner. A student’s response is conditioned through reinforcement provided by technology that takes place over time.


Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Theoretical Foundations (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved on March 10, 2010 from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. Jeannine,
    How do your students respond to effort? Do they see the connection between it and succeeding? How do you handle those students who just don't care? I know I just threw several questions at you, but I am curious about your class. Most of my classes are not self-motivated enough to view effort as important, so grades aren't either. I like to hear anything that other teachers do in this situation, so I can see if will help my students.

    Tami Phipps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having students chart their own efforts would create higher achievers. They would experience an emotional experience that would create a positive or negative reaction. I had a lot of questions about reinforce effort but the more I think about how it effects the students the more I see it relevance.I guess it all depends on the grade level of the students you teach.I question how my kindegarteners would react to the concept. My students enjoy tangible rewards. Do you think kindergarteners would respond positively to reinforce effort plans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yolette and Tami,

    I can see the effort that my students put forth is greater if there is parent involvement. Also, I print progress reports ever two weeks that I give out to my students to keep them informed about their progress in my class. By keeping students informed of their grades on a regular basis helps them to see when they have to put forth more effort. I see effort increase greatly a week before students have to take report cards home to be signed by parents, which is a great motivator for those students that care about what their parents will say when they see their grades. A good motivator in my class for students that do not care about grades is for me to withhold computer game time from them. My students know that if they do not finish their work, then they are not given the privilege to play games at the end of class. For young students, I believe tangible rewards is a more powerful motivator for instilling effort than show them data.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeannine,
    It is funny how students really start putting forth the effort right before grade cards or interim reports come out. My students will come to me and ask for extra credit. I try to get through to them that if they had put the effort into their work during the grading period that they should have, then they would not need the extra credit. How do you feel about extra credit? I am just curious. Thanks for your comments. It gives me some things to think about.

    Tami P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami,

    I do not mind giving extra credit to those students that continually try during the semester. Those students that do not show effort except the week before report cards go out, I usually tell them it is too late for extra credit.

    ReplyDelete