Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Social Learning Theory and Instructional Strategies

According to Dr. Michael Orey, the social learning theory focuses on the idea that students are actively engaged in constructing meaning through their conversations with others and their interactions with the environment (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). This week I explored an instructional strategy “Cooperative Learning” that embeds technology. This instructional strategy supports the social learning theory.

Cooperative learning is essentially a strategy teachers use that requires students to “interact with each other in groups in ways to enhance their learning” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 139). Technology tools can enhance the cooperative learning experience. When I assign a cooperative learning project, most often students will opt to create PowerPoint Presentations using the Internet as a resource. One of my favorite assignments is to have students research five leaders and analyze their leaders’ leadership style and contributions to society. After research is gathered using the Internet, students work together to develop a team presentation. Although PowerPoint is a good technology tool to use for cooperative learning projects, there are many other tools that are not being implemented or not being effectively used in classrooms. Pitler, et al, 2007 asserted, “Technology tools can play a vital role in cooperative learning by facilitating group collaboration, providing structure for group tasks, and allowing members of groups to communicate even if they are not working face to face.” Our course text Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works discussed WebQuests, Web site creation, shared calendars, social bookmarking, web-enabled multiplayer simulation games, wikis, and blogs as tools that increase the social interactions among students. These tools can be implemented to enhance the cooperative learning experience and reinforce social skills that 21st century students need to be successful in a global world.


Laureate Education, Inc.(Producer).(2009). Program 8. Social learning theories. [Motion Picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Dr. Michael Orey.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD

6 comments:

  1. I like your group project on the different leaders. Are they business leaders? I also teach a business class and do a project on business leaders only I make the students do a paper and presentation on the leader. I also liked that you included the leadership style. I never thought of that but it would be good to add to my project.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke,

    I usually allow students to choose anyone they consider to be a leader for this project. It can be a historical leader, athletic leader, business leader in the community, and etc. The have freedom of choice. I have also had students write a written report and do a PowerPoint presentation, but becuase of the snow days this year students only did the oral PowerPoint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JLowe,
    I really like your group project. Researching leaders while putting students into groups has a certain irony to it as I am sure each student has to assume a role in order to make the group work. How do you gage student work and progress on the powerpoint when they are collaborating on something such as this? Do you choose the five leaders or do they come up with them on their own? I would love to see some of the end results. Your class sounds enlightening and I believe you are doing well incorporating social learning theories and technology all at the same time!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. JLowe,
    One of my favorite ways to present a topic was also PowerPoint. Great idea on the topic of leaders and their leadership qualities. Just curious how long does this assignment take? Also, do you have problems with students who have never used PowerPoint?

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  5. JLowe,

    You stated, "Although PowerPoint is a good technology tool to use for cooperative learning projects, there are many other tools that are not being implemented or not being effectively used in classrooms". What other tools are you considering implementing in your classroom?

    Jennifer P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn, Joel, and Jennifer,

    Thank you for all of your comments. I always enjoy feedback because it helps give me further ideas of how to modify my lessons. When gaging student work, I provide students with a rubric and then I mingle among the groups to observe them working and to provide help. At the end of the project, students are given the opportunity to evaluate each other. Students choose their own leaders. However, if a student needs help in choosing a leader I will give him/her some ideas of people he/she could use as a leader. The length of time this project takes is approximately 2-3 days. I teach 90 minute block classes. At my school all students are taught how to use PowerPoint in the elementary grades, so I do not have students that do not know how to use the program. Other tools that I would like to implement next year would be a VoiceThread and a wiki. These are tools that I know most students do not know how to use.

    ReplyDelete